RealBridge - Online Bridge Sessions
** RealBridge at the Club has been suspended for the time being. A return to RealBridge on Wednesday nights is planned for 30 June. **
RealBridge improves on the BBO experience and uses your computer camera and microphone, allowing you to see and hear each other at a virtual bridge table. The Committee has decided to transition from BBO to RealBridge in the near future. If you haven't already, we encourage you to join in one of our Taster Sessions to familiarise yourself with the RealBridge Online Platform.
To start playing RealBridge you will need to:
- Confirm that your device will work with RealBridge (note: if using an iPad / iPad Mini, please use either Chrome or Firefox browsers. Older Safari browsers are not supported).
- Participate with your partner in a 30-minute taster and familiarisation session (recommended, not required)
- Click the link for the relevant session of the Matchpoint/Duplicate (no pre-registration required).
- Review the etiquette for playing on RealBridge
An excellent explanation of the RealBridge process is available on Realbridge.Online website. Go "How To ..." which is the 6th heading on the top bar and look at the player guide in the drop down menu
Session Times & Links
Links will be added 2 hours before the session start time.
- Wednesday 7:15pm (Duplicate) - until 7 April - Directed by John Donovan Click here to join the (last) session - activated 5:15pm Wed - next week at the club rooms
New RealBridge Server in Australia
Recently RealBridge added a new server which is physically in Australia. This is to improve performance, and to make the RealBridge experience better for all of us.
The new server is called oceania.realbridge.online. In the links that we give you, you will see “oceania.realbridge.online” instead of “play.realbridge.online”.
The first time that you play in a session on the new server, you will have to do three things:
(1) When you first join a session on the new server, you may be prompted to authorise oceania.realbridge.online to use the camera and microphone, for example:
If you get this message, you should click “Allow”. You should only have to do this once – after you have done it, your web-browser will remember the setting.
(2) On the login screen your name [and id], will not be pre-populated. Enter your name [and id] in their correct form. After you have done this, it will be saved for future sessions.
(3) Your personal settings will have been set to the defaults. That is, things like single-click or two-click mode, types of cards, orientation of dummy, etc. To set these back to how you like them:
- Sit at a table
- Click the Settings icon (shaped like a gear wheel)
- Change the settings
- Click OK
Again, you will only have to do this once.
We suggest that for your next session you should allow a few minutes extra for doing these.
30 Minute "Taster" sessions
It is not a requirement to participate in a taster session before playing RealBridge. However, members and their guests wishing to try RealBridge can participate in a free 30 minute taster session. Simply email the managers including suitable times and we will arrange a taster session for you.
- Taster Tuesday Click here to join the taster
RealBridge uses your camera and microphone allowing you to see and hear each other.
- Taster Session Instructions (PDF)
- Taster sessions are free
- 30 minute session; 4 hands
In the meantime, check your Camera and Microphone, so your partner and opponents can "see and hear" each other.
RealBridge etiquette – some pointers
Think about RealBridge as playing at the clubrooms... At the clubrooms you would not:
- Eat or drink in full view of the rest of the table (but you might discreetly eat a peanut or take a sip of wine)
- Conduct a conversation with a family member or conduct a telephone conversation
- Get up during the hand and make coffee unless you are Dummy and first excuse yourself from the table.
The microphone is the greatest feature of Realbridge – it allows for normalisation of the bridge environment. However, it can also cause problems with feedback. Some suggestions:
- Play in a quiet environment away from kids, televisions, street noise and noisy pets.
- Turn off the microphone when there is a distraction – my dogs bark as the possum leaves the possum box each night.
- Set the microphone on the lowest possible volume
- Regularly refresh the screen by clicking the wind symbol
- Be aware that the microphone may amplify noises, causing them to be louder than you realise for your partner and opponents.
Table Money on RealBridge
- The cost of playing a session of RealBridge is $8 per player with concessions ($7 / $4 students) until 30 April 2021
- All session fees are collected through CBCPay.
- Practice/taster sessions are free.
- All sessions on RealBridge will earn ABF MasterPoints.
- Members are welcome to invite ABF registered visitors (and international visitors) to play with them on RealBridge.