Newsletter - 17 August 2017
New Friday Bridge Session
Starting Friday 8th September there will be an additional Friday Bridge session at 10am.
The initial 10am session is free to all CBC members.
ABF Nation Wide Pairs
Friday afternoon 18th August, 1.00pm
- Run in conjunction with the normal Friday afternoon duplicate
- RED Masterpoints are allocated on a national basis in addition to the normal session GREEN Masterpoints.
- Normal table fees apply.
- At the conclusion of the play there will be a Panel discussion hosted by Pam Crichton.
State Open Teams
Tuesday evenings commencing 22 August & running for 4 weeks
Thursday evenings commencing 22 August & running for 4 weeks
Teams of Three
- Sunday 10th September, 12:30pm
- Fun, Frolic & Classy Eats
- Get 3 friends together
- Each team member must have fewer than100 masterpoints
- Club provides a mentoring Captain
- Entries close Thursday 7th Sept at 6pm
- Late entries accepted only under strict conditions.
- Cost $20 (members), $25 (non-members)
“Dear Hilda Lirsch”
This bridge advice column will be a regular feature of the club newsletter.
What does the bridge cliche "eight ever, nine never" mean?
If you have an eight-card trump fit, with the only missing honour being the queen, then - other things being equal - you should "ever" finesse an opponent for the queen.
If you have a nine-card trump fit, with the only missing honour being the queen, then - other things being equal - you should "never" finesse for the queen, but instead play for the drop. However, "never" is a big exaggeration. The initial percentage chance of success playing for the drop of the queen is a mere 52%. Extra information may alter the odds and make the finesse better strategy.
For example, LHO pre-empts 3D, pard doubles for takeout, and you declare 4S. Although you have a nine-card trump fit, with the only missing honour being the queen, because of LHO's pre-empt the percentage action is now to play RHO for Qxx (or Qxxx) of trumps.
The Produce Table needs some produce
- Especially lemons; we love lemons.
- Little cakes and biscuits are very popular too.
- Proceeds from the table benefit the club.
- The produce table is located in the foyer of the club.
The next two series of Beginner Lessons
- Commencing this coming week: Monday August 21 at 7.00pm and Thursday August 24 at 10.00am.
- Each session takes 2 hours.
Please let your friends know.
Master the Basics
- These lessons start at 9.15am sharp.
- The next lesson is Wednesday August 23 with Barb Toohey. The topic is Transfers – “Invitational Hands”.
- Stay and play in the session following starting at 10.00am.
Supervised sessions, with a lesson preceding the play, are on:
- Monday nights at 7pm, and
- Thursday mornings at 9.30am.
Barb and/or Jeanette & Ann look forward to seeing you there.
- 21st & 24th August – “Responses to NT, including Stayman”
- 28th & 31st August – “Rule of 20 and Rule of 15”
Short Notice Players Needed
If you are able to be called at short notice to be a fill-in, please contact the office. If you could provide your name, contact details, and session times you are available, we will retain these to call you if there is a need for a fill-in on your available days.
2017 GNOT qualifying Pairs
- 1st Ian Thomson, Jon Hunt
- 2nd Christopher Quail, Julia Hoffman
- 3rd David Hoffman, David Wawn
Results from the Coffs Coast Gold Congress
Open Swiss Pairs
- 2nd Elizabeth Havas & Arjuna De Livera
- Rob Hurst, Rowan Corbett & Desmond Manderson were part of the team that came first.
Results from the Wagga Wagga Congress
- 1st Tamsin Paige & Christy Geromboux
- 3rd Val Brockwell & Ian Thomson
Stephen Mendick was in the team that came third.
A request from the Director
After playing your hand please shuffle your cards before replacing them back into the board even if the hand has been passed out.