Newsletter - 24 August 2017
Wednesday Night Bridge
- Commencement time is 7.15 PM.
- 31st August: Monthly accumulation Green MP night.
Winners on this night also get free vouchers.
- Our next Pizza night will be on 6th September at 6.30pm, when Richard Hills will continue with more Bridge Laws that all bridge players should know.
- As an advance notice, we are planning on holding a ‘teams night’ on 4th October.
It is an opportunity for anyone who wants to know how teams bridge works to dip their toes into the water.
People will have to put their names on a list for this event in order that we can ensure an even number of tables. Watch the noticeboard for the list.
Richard Hills will also give a talk on team tactics and teams scoring before the game.
Teams of Three – Sunday 10th September, 12:30pm
Fun, Frolic & Classy Eats
- Get 3 friends together
- Each team member must have fewer than 100 masterpoints
- Club provides a mentoring Captain
- Entries close Thursday 7th Sept at 6pm
- Late entries accepted only under strict conditions.
- Cost $20 (members), $25 (non-members)
Dear Hilda Lirsch,
Q: If partner invites me to bid game, when should I accept pard's invitation?
If you are playing Matchpoint pairs, and you believe there is at least a 50% chance of success, then bid game.
If, however, you are vulnerable playing teams (or Butler pairs), then you should be more optimistic. If the wimps at the other table stop in a partscore and you successfully bid a vulnerable game, then you gain a magnificent 10 imps. If the wimps at the other table stop in a partscore and you go one off in your vulnerable game, then you lose a mere 6 imps. Hence at teams (or Butler pairs) if you are vulnerable and believe there is at least a 37.5% chance of success, then you should bid game.
For really close decisions, apply the concept of Declarer's Advantage. Because the defenders cannot see each other’s cards, on approximately one deal in every four the defenders unnecessarily give declarer a bonus trick.
ACT Womens & Mens pairs
- 1st Richard Brightling & David Hoffman
- 2nd Tamsin Paige & Christy Geromboux
- 3rd John & Val Brockwell
The Produce Table needs some produce
- Especially lemons; we love lemons.
- Little cakes and biscuits are very popular too.
Proceeds from the table benefit the club.
The produce table is located in the foyer of the club.
Master the Basics
- These lessons start at 9.15am sharp.
- The next lesson is Wednesday August 30 with Barb Toohey. The topic is Transfers – “Super Accepts”.
- Stay and play in the session following starting at 10.00am.
Supervised sessions, with a lesson preceding the play, are on:
- Monday nights at 7pm, and
- Thursday mornings at 9.30am.
Barb and/or Jeanette & Ann look forward to seeing you there.
- September 4th & 7th - High opening bids – pre-empts
- September 11th & 14th - Weak 2 openings
- September 18th & 21st - Strong 2C opening
- September 25th & 28th - Slam bidding and Blackwood
Short-Notice Players Needed
If you are able to be called at short notice to be a fill-in, please contact the office. If you could provide your name, contact details, and session times you are available, we will retain these to call you if there is a need for a fill-in on your available days.
A request from the Director
After playing your hand please shuffle your cards before replacing them back into the board even if the hand has been passed out.