From the President:
There has been a big improvement in the appearance of the carpet in the Barry Turner Room, due to it being cleaned last Friday night. Thank you very much to the members who dismantled and reset the room. Please don’t send me your physio bills!
All Session Times for Bridge
Please, please, please note the start times of each session and arrive at least five minutes prior to start of play. Late arrival can cause confusion as the director will have already set the movement.
For those of you entered in the Valentine’s Day Congress this coming Sunday 11 February, please remember that there will be morning tea available from 9.30am and play will commence at 10.00am sharp. Lunch will be provided.
FRIDAY AFTERNOON – 16th February - Nationwide Pairs
Test your play against players of all calibres Australia wide,
No entry requirements, just walk-in, no additional cost,
Click here to see the ABF Nationwide Pairs site including results.
Tuesday Evening event:
State ANC Open Teams Stage 1
4 weeks commencing Tuesday evening 27th February
Entry List on BT Noticeboard and Club Website
Thursday Evening event:
CBC Point-a-Board Teams
3 weeks commencing Thursday evening 1st March
Entry List on BT Noticeboard and Club Website
- Gold Coast Congress QLD – 16th to 24th February. Link for details and entry: https://www.qldbridge.com/gcc/
- State ANC Women's Team Selection – 3rd & 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateANCWomensTeamSelection
- State Novice Pairs Championship – 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateNovicePairsChampionship
- State ANC Senior's Team Selection – 17th & 18th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateANCSeniorsTeamSelecion
- State Restricted Pairs Championship – 18th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateRestrictedPairsChampionship
- Griffith NSW – 3rd & 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.nswba.com.au/tourn/eventDetails.asp?tid=2893&T=X
- Batemans Bay – 9th to 11th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.nswba.com.au/tourn/eventDetails.asp?tid=2797&T=X
Level Promotions for January
Congratulations to the following for their respective Level promotions:
Graduate: Denyse Freedman, John Mavrogenes, Mark Nickols, Rajiv Shah
Club: Gerdina Bryant, Gita Curnow, Rogina Hitchcock, Sau-Yem Lo, Marion Myers
Local: Bruce Arthur, Jenny Arthur, Jeff Pearce, Ros Webb
*Local: Fae Layland, Sue Stacey, Brett Yeats, Jennifer Yeats
**Local: Claire Hughes, Hilary Merritt
Regional: Jeanette Harper
State: Dennis O’Conner, Heather Whitely, Penny Wild
*State: Pamela McKittrick
National: Desmond Manderson
*National: Andrew Spooner
Silver Life: Mal Aldons
BFACT Council has committed to reviewing the BFACT constitution. The constitution could be improved in terms of language and readability but most importantly it is outdated and in some cases unworkable for example the constitution requires the use of cheques in certain circumstances and does not mention internet banking or email. There is no intention to make controversial changes to the constitution and if there are any changes to the rights of clubs it is likely to be in the clubs’ favour. For example, the current clause about the disaffiliation of a club does not allow any recourse for the club.
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
The next lesson is Wednesday 14th February, with Barb Toohey.
The topic is Declarer Play – “Plan, winners & losers”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
Supervised lessons will resume on Monday 29th January (7.00pm) and Thursday 1st February (9.30am).
We hope you have enjoyed the Summer Sessions as well as your holiday time, and we look forward to seeing you again in the 2018 Supervised sessions.
Supervised session topics
Monday’s starting 7.00pm
Thursday’s starting 9.30am
Strong 2C opening
Slam bidding, Blackwood
Barb, Ann and Jeanette
Club Advertisers - Flight Centre
From time to time members ask me about the current arrangement with Flight Centre. Most would be aware that Flight Centre is a major sponsor of the club and Edwina has returned as our Account Manager. I am pleased to tell you that everything is back on track and we have reverted to the original model where you can deal at any of the ACT and Queanbeyan Flight Centre outlets. However, it is most effective if you indicate at the outset that you, your family member or friends are dealing with Flight Centre due to the “Trailing Commission” agreement that we have in place.
It is pleasing to see that some of our members have returned to dealing with Flight Centre after the hiccups we experienced in 2017 whilst Edwina was on leave. We need many more people to be booking with Flight Centre to ensure the ongoing success of this arrangement. As you would all appreciate, funds raised indirectly remove pressure from other means such as “Table Money”.
Please inform the managers when you commence your travel discussions with Flight Centre so that the information can be captured to aid reconciliation of commission’s payable.
Dear Hilda Lirsch,
I remembered that partner's bid was conventional, according to our prior partnership agreement. But I forgot the details of our convention. Should I still alert?
Yes, you still alert pard's bid.
If an opponent enquires about the meaning of pard's bid, you explain that you have forgotten, and summon the Director (you do NOT offer any guess as to its meaning; saying "I am taking it as such-and-such" is forbidden, as it gives Unauthorized Information to partner).
The Director now sends you away from the table, to prevent you from getting any Unauthorized Information, while pard explains the prior agreement about the meaning of pard's bid.
The fact that you are forgetful is Unauthorized Information to partner (but Authorized Information to the opponents). If pard uses the UI of your forgetfulness and the opponents are therefore damaged, then at the end of play the Director will award an adjusted score.
However, if your pard does not use any UI, but because of your forgetfulness you cause your partnership to stumble into a stupid but very lucky contract, then that is the so-called "Rub of the Green" (a metaphor derived from billiards and snooker), and the Director MUST NOT adjust the score.
Fyshwick Trash & Treasure Stall
The Club will be holding a fundraising stall on Saturday 28th April.
Donations from club members would be most appreciated. Relatively small portable and saleable items only are what we need – books, CD’s, DVD’s, jewellery, vases, kitchen items, collectables, toys, games, etc. etc.
If you have any questions or would like to help on the day please contact:
Janet Kahler – ph. 6239 7268 or Gwen Jamieson Gray – ph. 0405 193 584 or Sue Taylor – ph. 6295 6691.
Ha Ha ha ha
A store that sells new husbands has opened in Melbourne, where a woman may go to choose a husband. Among the instructions at the entrance is a description of how the store operates:
You may visit this store ONLY ONCE!. There are six floors and the value of the products increase as the shopper ascends the flights. The shopper may choose any item from a particular floor, or may choose to go up to the next floor, but you cannot go back down except to exit the building!
So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a husband. On the first floor the sign on the door reads:
- Floor 1. - These men Have Jobs. She is intrigued, but continues to the second floor, where the sign reads:
- Floor 2.- These men Have Jobs and Love Kids. 'That's nice,' she thinks, 'but I want more.' So she continues upward. The third floor sign reads:
- Floor 3. - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, and are Extremely Good Looking. 'Wow,' she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going. She goes to the fourth floor and the sign reads:
- Floor 4. - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Good Looking and Help With Housework. 'Oh, mercy me!' she exclaims, 'I can hardly stand it!' Still, she goes to the fifth floor and the sign reads:
- Floor 5. - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Gorgeous, Help with Housework, and Have a Strong Romantic Streak. She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the “sixth floor”, where the sign reads:
- Floor 6 - You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor. There are no men on this floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please. Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.
PLEASE NOTE: - To avoid gender bias charges, the store's owner opened a New Wives store just across the street.
- The first floor has wives that love sex.
- The second floor has wives that love sex, have money and like beer.
- The third, fourth, fifth and sixth floors have never been visited.
Old Bridge paraphernalia for sale
The particulars are:
A complete set covering the period February 1985 and ending with June 1993 (55 issues).
They are stored in 5 official Australian Bridge loose leaf binders.
A first edition of Ron Klinger’s classic book published in 1972 (or thereabouts).
It is signed by the author.
A set of 16 Boards
Made of heavy-duty waxed cardboard – suitable for teams matches at home.
All contain cards, though the quality of these is variable.
I am downsizing and this collection is among the material that has to go.
I am hoping someone would like to buy the magazines and/or the book from me.
Price to be by negotiation.
If anyone interested, please contact me by email or by telephone:
- My `phone number (until I move in a couple of months’ time) is: 6241 1140.
Kerry and Keith