From the President:
Pam sends her best wishes from the Gold Coast for this week.
Gold Coast Congress Results To-date:
Bobby Richman Pairs – congratulations to:
Margaret Bourke partnered Sue Lusk to win the Seniors’ Pairs Final A.
Elizabeth Havas partnered Ron Cooper to win the Seniors’ Pairs Final B.
John Donovan partnered Terry Heming to achieve second place in the Intermediate Pairs Final C.
Tuesday Evening event:
State ANC Open Teams Stage 1
4 weeks commencing Tuesday evening 27th February
Entry List on BT Noticeboard and Club Website
Thursday Evening event:
CBC Point-a-Board Teams
3 weeks commencing Thursday evening 1st March
Entry List on BT Noticeboard and Club Website
- State ANC Women's Team Selection – 3rd & 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateANCWomensTeamSelection
- State Novice Pairs Championship – 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateNovicePairsChampionship
- State ANC Senior's Team Selection – 17th & 18th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateANCSeniorsTeamSelecion
- State Restricted Pairs Championship – 18th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateRestrictedPairsChampionship
- CBC Egon Larson Butler Pairs – held over 3 Tuesday evenings:
Commencing Tuesday evening 27th March at 7:30 pm.
* Egon Larsen was co-founder of the Canberra Bridge Club. He died in a road accident while working in Indonesia.
* Honour Board Event.
* RED Masterpoints, MP Rating GW 2.5.
* Butler Scoring 3 x 9 board rounds or 4 x 7 board rounds each session.
* Cost $12.
* Pre-entry essential. Entries close at Midday on 26th March 2018.
Entry List on BT Noticeboard and Club Website.
- Griffith NSW – 3rd & 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.nswba.com.au/tourn/eventDetails.asp?tid=2893&T=X
- Batemans Bay – 9th to 11th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.nswba.com.au/tourn/eventDetails.asp?tid=2797&T=X
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
The next lesson is Wednesday 28st February, with Barb Toohey.
- The topic is Declarer Play – “Play points – Trumps, Discard on extra winners”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
Supervised lessons have resumed on Monday evenings (7.00pm) and Thursday mornings (9.30am).
Supervised session topics
(starting at 7.00pm)
Thursday’s & Friday’s
(starting at 9.30am)
Same bid, different message
Etiquette, scoring, key
16th March (Friday)
Barb, Ann and Jeanette
Fyshwick Trash & Treasure Stall
The Club will be holding a fundraising stall on Saturday 28th April.
Donations from club members would be most appreciated. Relatively small portable and saleable items only are what we need – books, CD’s, DVD’s, jewellery, vases, kitchen items, collectables, toys, games, etc. etc.
If you have any questions or would like to help on the day please contact:
Janet Kahler – ph. 6239 7268 or Gwen Jamieson Gray – ph. 0405 193 584 or Sue Taylor – ph. 6295 6691.
Club Advertisers - Flight Centre
Thank you to our Members who are now returning to Flight Centre to make bookings. I would also like to inform you that Flight Centre are holding a Travel Expo that is on at the Convention Centre, Sunday 25th February 10am - 4pm, with great deals & discounts for most destinations around the world.
The Expo deals can be booked at the Expo or in store from Friday 23rd - 25th Feb. If you have some holiday ideas, it would be best to speak to a consultant prior to the Expo so you are ready to book for the Expo. Please contact your local Flight Centre to book an appointment!
Edwina our Flight Centre Account Manager will be at the Travel Expo for much of the time, please introduce yourself and mention the Bridge Club.
Club Advertisers – Tetlow Legal
Tetlow Legal is another of our advertisers. There are pamphlets in the foyer about their services. Please be aware that they are relocating their offices from MacKay Gardens to University Ave in the city. I will have new business cards shortly to place on the foyer table with updated details of their location on University Avenue. I have noted in their current brochure that they have a segment on Planning for Retirement, Retirement Villages. That is a topic that comes up with some of our members.
In consultation with President Pam, I have offered to be the focal point for all Members regarding any issues concerning dealings with our Advertisers. You are welcome to contact me direct should the need arise.
Ha Ha ha ha
God's Plan for Ageing
Most seniors never get enough exercise. In His wisdom God decreed that seniors become forgetful so they would have to search for their glasses, keys and other things, thus doing more walking. And God looked down and saw that it was good.
Then God saw there was another need. In His wisdom he made seniors lose co-ordination so they would drop things, requiring them to bend, reach, and stretch. And God looked down and saw that it was good.
Then God considered the function of bladders and decided seniors would have additional calls of nature, requiring more trips to the bathroom, thus providing more exercise. God looked down and saw that it was good.
So if you find as you age, you are getting up and down more, remember it's God's will. It is all in your best interest even though you mutter under your breath.
Nine Important Facts to Remember as We Grow Older
#9, Death is the number 1 killer in the world.
#8, Life is sexually transmitted.
#7, Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
#6, Men have 2 motivations: hunger and hanky panky, and they can't tell them apart. If you see a gleam in his eyes, make him a sandwich.
#5, Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.
#4, Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.
#3, All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
#2, In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it normal.
#1, Life is like a jar of jalapeno peppers. What you do today may be a burning issue tomorrow.
Please share this wisdom with others while I go to the bathroom.
Kerry and Keith