Newsletter - 7 June 2018
From the President:
As your partner goes north to seek the sun, please remember that you can still play bridge. Ask around the week before and see if others are at a loose end. Failing that, mention it to one of the managers well in advance. They try to oblige but cannot guarantee success; the more warning they have the better their (and your) chance of success.
Keep warm – by playing bridge!
Lendlease Retirement Living - Saturday 16th June 2018
- Date: Saturday, 16th June
- Time: 10:30am – 11:30am
- Location: East Hotel, 69 Canberra Avenue
Lendlease Retirement Living has exciting plans to deliver a luxury over 55’s village to the community of Narrabundah. We invite you to join us for an informative morning tea where we will share our vision for the village, give you a sneak peak of the home designs, resort facilities, building timelines and give you the opportunity to register for VIP updates on how to buy.
Free parking will be provided at The East Hotel. Enter the carpark underneath the hotel from Oxley Street. Please report to hotel reception when you are leaving and you will receive your free ticket to exit the carpark.
Not only will you learn something about future accommodation options in the inner south, but the attendance of each individual CBC member will be financially beneficial to CBC.
When you RSVP please identify yourself as a CBC member.
Bridge for kids - Tuesday 10 & 17 July
- Tuesday 10 July 2018 and Tuesday 17 July at CBC
- 10am finishing at 12 noon with ice cream and pizza.
- Cost $2.
- Come to one or both as suits.
It is expected that a parent, grandparent or guardian will accompany each minor and assist if needed.
The target age is ten to twelve but eight to eighteen would be acceptable.
Card games include any trick taking game such as Old Maid, Hearts and mini bridge for older children.
Sign up sheets will be on the noticeboard at CBC, or you can email the Manager. Please include names and ages of the children you are registering and the name of the guardian(s) who will attend with them.
- Teams of Three – Sunday 1st July 12:30pm
- Gather 3 players and the club will provide you with an experienced player as captain.
- Scrumptious food, good chats, fun prizes for nicest captain, happiest team and best team(s)
- $15 Members (including Intermediate Players), $18 Non-member
- Pre-entry essential, closes Friday 29th June 1pm
- Two (2) Sections:
- Intermediate - each player to have fewer than 15 masterpoints
- Restricted - each player to have fewer than 150 masterpoints
- CBC President’s Butler Pairs – Thursday 21st June, 28th June, 5th July
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
The next lesson will be on Wednesday June 13, with Barb Toohey.
“Defence – Opening Leads against Trump contracts”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
Supervised session topics
(starting at 7.00pm)
Thursdays & Fridays
(starting at 9.30am)
Weak 2D/2H/2S openings
8th June ( Friday)
Strong 2C opening
14th June (Thursday)
15th June (Friday)
Slam bidding, Blackwood
28th June (Thursday)
29th June (Friday)
- Barb, Ann and Jeanette
Promotions for May
Graduate – Jane Allpress, Paul Christie, Michelle Clarke, Tony Clarke, Judy Scealy
Club – Michele Grant, Meurine Thomas, Ian Walker
Local – Keith Jorgenson
*Local – Jeff Boag, Jeanette McCorriston
**Local – Doina Uzubalis
Regional – Chris Ballantyne
*Regional – Deborah Milner
State – Sherryn Datoo, Mirza Datoo
*State – Peter Kowald
Life – Patricia McDonald
Wollongong Bridge Congress Teams
- John Brockwell and Chris Stead, with teammates Kevin Tant and Graham Evans, came 3rd
Asia Cup Championships in Goa, India – in progress
As of the end of 6th June:
- Jodi Tutty is ranked 5 in the Mixed Team’s Butler.
- Karen Creet & Sheila Bird are currently ranked 9 & 10 in the Women’s Butler.
Stay tuned next week for results from the Finals (which will be played on 10th June)
Eclectics for May
Friday am Lance McDougall & Harold McCormick
Friday pm Jim Ascione & Emlyn Williams
Saturday Sue Coleman & Dorothy Jesner
Monday Red Dennis Grahame & Bob Cox
Monday Blue & Yellow Shelia & Jim Murray
Monday pm Helen Little & Geoff Hutchins
Monday pm Handicap Annabelle Boag & Jeanette McCorriston
Tuesday Sally Barber & Arjuna De Livera
Wednesday – Bill Gray Pairs Pamela McKittrick & Richard Johnston
Wednesday am Pamela McKittrick & Richard Johnston
Wednesday pm John Hempenstall & Clem Davis
Wednesday pm Handicap Chris Ballantyne & Douglas Stuart
Thursday Blue Ines-Maria Hodgkinson & Helen Van Gelder
Thursday Butler Peter Kahler & Liz Van Der Hor