Newsletter - 28 June 2018
From the President:
I am looking forward to seeing many of you on Sunday afternoon for the Teams of 3 event.
John Pritchard’s death was noted in the Canberra Times last Saturday. While he has lived on the Gold Coast for many years, I am sure a lot of our long-term members will remember John.
Newsletter day of publication to change
From July (next week) the newsletter will be issued on Friday.
This will work better for us administratively as the managers are changing the days on which they work.
New days for managers
From 1 July 2018:
- Kerry will be working in the office Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
- Emily will be working in the office Monday & Friday
Southern Cross Club community benefits scheme
The Southern Cross Club has included us again in their Community Benefits Scheme. Any person who is a member of Southern Cross can assign their benefits to CBC. Once your card is registered with CBC, you simply need to have it swiped when you buy food or drink at the Southern Cross Club, knowing you are helping our bridge club. You do not need to tell any Southern Cross Club staff about it. This scheme is very helpful to CBC finances.
- join the Southern Cross Club,
- encourage friends to do likewise,
- Take your CSCC membership 6 digits number and the name on the badge into Kerry or Emily and they will process it for you.
- and then eat, drink and be merry at CSCC at Jamison, Woden, Yarralumla or Tuggeranong, while helping our bridge club.
Wanted: Lemons & Limes
It’s that wintery time of the year again, when your lemon & lime trees will be over-burdened with delicious fruits.
If you have more than you can use, help up by relieving the tree’s burden (by picking the fruit) as we would absolutely love donations of lemons & limes for members to buy as donations to the Club.
Course on new Bridge laws – Saturday 21 July
BFACT is hosting this course so that all BFACT directors, and interested players, can get up to speed on the intricacies of the new ABF Bridge Laws.
We are fortunate to have Bruce Crossman as our presenter. Bruce has extensive experience in directing at national events using the new laws.
- Learn about The new revised Laws of Contract Bridge
- When:Saturday 21 July 2018, 10am to 12.30pm
- Where:Canberra Bridge Club, Deakin
- Cost:$15 per person
BFACT Constitution – draft available
The BFACT draft of their new constitution is (or will very soon be!) available on the BFACT website.
Teams of Three – Sunday 1st July 12:30pm
- Gather 3 players and the club will provide you with an experienced player as captain.
- Scrumptious food, good chats, fun prizes for nicest captain, happiest team and best team(s)
- $15 Members (including Intermediate Players), $18 Non-member
- Pre-entry essential, closes Friday 29th June 1pm
- Two (2) Sections:
- Intermediate - each player to have fewer than 15 masterpoints
- Restricted - each player to have fewer than 150 masterpoints
Olive Lott Pairs 3/5 – Mondays 10:00am walk-in, 2, 9, 16, 23, & 30 July
- incorporating GNOT Qualifying Matchpoint Pairs
- Gold points
- Pre-entry NOT REQUIRED
State Open Pairs – Tuesday 3, 10, 17 & 24 July
GNOT Qualifying Butler Pairs – Thursdays 7pm, 12, 19 & 26 July
- Gold points
- Pre-entry essential
The committee has discussed this issue again recently.
Please note that players, if they are in the club, can reserve a place at a table for themselves and their partner ONLY.
To do so they MUST write their names on the payment envelope on the table (to prevent a pair reserving 2 tables, and thereby giving the directors problems).
However, you are NOT to reserve tables for friends who are not present.
The managers will only organise reservations for those with serious disabilities.
- David Hoffman & David Wawn
- Rob Hurst & Desmond Manderson
Monday-Wednesday Evening News
As part of our promotion of evening duplicate bridge, up to and including November 2018:
- The players who win the monthly Handicap eclectic events on Monday and Wednesday evenings will receive a free play voucher each as their prize.
- The Club will offer half price table-money vouchers (two per person) to members who have not previously played in Monday or Wednesday evening sessions. These will be available on request from the session Director, or one of our two managers.
Bridge For Kids - Tuesday 10 & 17 July
- Tuesday 10 July 2018 and Tuesday 17 July at CBC
- 10am finishing at 12 noon with ice cream and pizza.
- Cost $2.
- Come to one or both as suits.
It is expected that a parent, grandparent or guardian will accompany each minor and assist if needed.
The target age is ten to twelve but eight to eighteen would be acceptable.
Card games include any trick taking game such as Old Maid, Hearts and mini bridge for older children.
Sign up sheets will be on the noticeboard at CBC, or you can email the Manager. Please include names and ages of the children you are registering and the name of the guardian(s) who will attend with them.
Wednesday Night Bridge
Our next lecture/pizza night will be on July 4th.
Richard Hills will be talking about aspects of 1 NT openings.
Pizzas from 6.15 pm.
April and May minutes from the committee meetings are now available on the website.
Reflections on directing and directors
The club has 3 national level directors, 3 state directors and a half dozen club directors, all of whom are generous with their time for minimal pay and who encounter a series of problems from dealing (pun intended) with a cranky computer scoring program to washing up to 150 cups and glasses at the end of the session.
Let’s show them we appreciate them.
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
The next lesson will be on Wednesday July 4:
“Declarer Play – Maintaining trump control”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
There will be no lesson on Thursday 5th & 12th July. Please join us for Supervised Play at 10am.
Please also note the changed topic for next week – Overcalls.
Supervised session topics
(starting at 7.00pm)
Thursdays & Fridays
(starting at 9.30am)
29th June (Friday)
6th July (Friday)
Opening leads & signals (simplified)
13th July (Friday)
- Barb, Ann and Jeanette