Newsletter - 21 December 2018
From the President:
As another year ends, my thanks to Kerry and Emily, all the directors, teachers, dealers, and our many volunteers, both on the committee and not. All these people do more than is asked of them to make the club work as smoothly as possible.
Adrienne Stephens has again done a wonderful job keeping the tradition of our Christmas raffle alive. Please see below for winners and money raised. Many thanks to Adrienne.
The Calendar is always a tough job: thanks from all of us go to Claire Hughes, John Brockwell & the tournament committee, & Barb Toohey and the education group, for their input over many weeks.
The plants at CBC are looking good following rain & warmth. The weeds have also flourished so thanks to the resident gardener (aka Ross) for waging war on the latter.
Another dealing contract (for the national Youth tournament) has been completed this week, thanks to Ian Robinson, Christopher Quail, Sue La Peyre, Bob Cox & Margaret Kyburz.
Thank you to the generous members who donated presents for Barnardos. I delivered a wonderful pile on Monday to profuse thanks from the staff there.
Merry Christmas and safe travels,
Conduct & Etiquette
A reminder from a member, who is very knowledgeable about the laws, that it is not only discourteous, but also a violation of the Laws of Duplicate Bridge, to stare at other players at the table. Please see the extract from the Laws below:
Law 74 Conduct and Etiquette
C. Violations of Procedure
The following are examples of violations of procedure:
- looking intently at any other player during the auction and play
The raffle raised over $1,000 to be shared between our Club and our charity, Barnardos.
The lucky winners were:
- Hamper – Rosa Ferranda
- Christmas cake – Paul Driver
- Christmas crackers – Larissa Cowlishaw
Thank you to everyone who bought tickets.
Pianola - End of Year Software Housekeeping
If you have an ABF number and you are registered with Pianola, there is no need to read further.
Some members may be impacted by our end of year housekeeping.
- Local Numbers: if you use a Local Number to log in to the Bridgemate (ie you do not have an ABF number) this will change on New Years Day. Please check with the Director for your new local number.
- Pianola Registration: All people on the Pianola Database who are not registered Pianola users will receive an invitation to register on New Years Day. All invitations will expire on January 13th. If you have consciously decided to not register with Pianola we apologise for any inconvenience.
2019 Calendar & Our Advertisers/Sponsors
The calendar for 2019 is now available in the club. As has been the case for a number of years, the club has maintained the advertising of various firms in the calendar to offset the cost of its production.
For 2019 we welcome the inclusion of Hodgkinson Real Estate and thank John Dunn of Dwyer Dunn for his past support. This year “The Grange” moves to the centre pages and becomes a very major sponsor of the club.
Flight Centre continues with their sponsorship, moving to the inside back cover. The sponsorship from Flight Centre is based on a fee for their advertisement “plus” they continue with their trailing commission arrangement. The value of the trailing commission is dependent on you as members booking travel through any of the three designated branches. As outlined earlier in the year, there will be just three Flight Centre branches from this point where members can make bookings for CBC to obtain the 1% trailing commission. Effectively, these branches are where most of members have dealt in the past. The below 3 names are the managers of their respective branches; you can off course deal with any of their staff. Please notify Flight Centre staff at the commencement of your travel discussions along with our managers that you are part of CBC. Your family and friends can also assist in this process.
- Manuka - Will Mackay, Ph: 62396499.
- Weston Creek at Coolamon Court - Paul Nugent, Ph: 62083588, and
- Belconnen Mall - Melanie Harlow, Ph: 62532422
Should you experience any difficulties regarding your bookings please feel welcome to contact Peter Giles direct and he will take the issue to the Area Manager. Peters’ contact details are in the calendar booklet.
$80 deposit without name received
We received an electronic deposit into our bank account for $80, sent via “Origin MMS”. There was no name or ABF number attached for us to identify the sender. If you think this was your payment, please contact Kerry or Emily in the office, with details to confirm it was you (date of payment, and/or a printout of the payment receipt).
In December-January the club will be open at the usual times EXCEPT for:
- Christmas Eve (Mon 24th Dec) – no evening session (7pm)
- Christmas Day (Tues 25th Dec) – no sessions (1pm and 7pm)
- Boxing Day (Wed 26th Dec) – no evening session (7.15pm)
- New Year’s Eve (Mon 31st Dec) – no evening session (7pm)
- New Year’s Day (Tues 1st January) – no evening session (7.30pm)
- Tuesday 8th January – no evening session (7.30pm, due to SFOB)
- Thursday 10th January – no evening session (7.30pm, due to SFOB)
- Tuesday 15th January – no evening session (7.30pm, due to SFOB)
- Thursday 17th January – no evening session (7.30pm, due to SFOB)
- Thursday 7:30pm: 27th December & 3rd January
- Walk-in event; no pre-entry required
- Best 2 scores with the same partner determine winners.
- Gateway Event: suitable for all levels (including inexperienced players).
Summer Festival of Bridge - Canberra, 9th–20th January
This tournament provides a wonderful opportunity for players of all standards to play in a well-run national tournament, while sleeping in their own bed.
If you are new to competition play, there are events designed specifically for novice and restricted players.
Other events at the SFOB
Bridge 4 Kids
The first session for 2019 will be held on Tuesday 22 January 2019, between 10am and 12 midday, as long as there is enough interest. Mini bridge & other card games will be followed by pizza and ice cream. A registration sheet will be on the CBC noticeboard from early January. Please ensure that you include the carer’s name and any special dietary requirements for the children.
Pair sought to form a Team for the SFOB Under 300MP Teams event
- 14th – 16th January
Dismantle the Christmas tree
We will call at end to the Christmas season at 1:15pm on Monday 31 December, by taking down our Christmas tree and decorations. Help from anyone playing in that session would be appreciated.
Helpers required for Supervised Play in December 2018 and January 2019
We are in need of helpers to assist with the supervised play at the club on Monday, Thursday mornings and Friday mornings until 1st February. The supervised sessions are for practice play only.
Helpers Needed for Summer Festival of Bridge
CBC again has the opportunity to help one of the major bridge tournaments in Australia to run smoothly and also to earn some money for our club.
We need many helpers to assist with setting up at the Rex Hotel on Tuesday 8 January, and to pack down after play on Thursday 17 January.
Not all the jobs are hard physical work – e.g. tablecloths, bidding boxes etc.
Standby Players wanted for ‘Summer Festival of Bridge’
If you wish to be a ‘Standby Player’, please contact Perelle Scales on:
Dear Hilda Lirsch
What is a Congratulatory Jack?
Knave of Hearts
If partner has defended very well, then towards the end of play discard a surplus jack. This has the meaning: “Nice defence, pard!”
Alan McArthur Teams
- C Stead, R Hills, N Van Vucht, P McDonald
- G Kazakos, I Robinson, A Spooner, J Yoon
CBC Medley Teams
- N Van Vucht, C Stead, P McDonald, S Carter, D Gallagher, T Davis, P Kahler
- B Crossman, A Powell, S Mendick, J Mendick, J Beaumont, I Thomson
Lessons & Seminars
Master the Basics – Cement your Bridge skills
Master Basics will resume on February 6, 2019.
Supervised lessons will resume on Monday 4th February (7pm), and Friday 8th February 2019, with Friday commencing once more at 9.30am. Thursday supervised lessons will resume from Thursday 7th February, with a slight change (see linked PDF).
Supervised play will continue during the Monday evening, Thursday Morning and Friday Morning sessions, with the help of volunteers.
For full details, see previous weeks’ newsletters or online PDF notice to supervised players.