Newsletter - 24 May 2019
From the President:
This is National Volunteers Week, with the theme ‘Making a World of Difference’. Thank you to the scores of volunteers in our club who do exactly that.
I hope that all players enjoyed their day of bridge last Sunday. Many thanks to Brad Coles and the Australian Bridge Magazine for their sponsorship of the Southern Tablelands Teams. The Open edition of the magazine is published in hard copy and the Novice edition is presented online. Both make for very interesting reading.
Sebastian Yuen did a great job as Director on the day.
Many people helped in a myriad of ways – thank you all - but I especially note the untiring efforts of Mary Tough and Julia Hoffman in all matters providorial.
“Teaching Contract Bridge to Children” by Lyn and Malcolm Carter
This book is aimed at bridge players who want to teach the game to children – to young relatives in the family home, in a program for young players in a bridge club, or in a school.
The book costs $35 (plus postage) but as a special introductory promotion for bridge clubs, if we order five or more copies of the book, the price will be $30 per book.
We will place an order and, through a kind offer from Lyn, we do not have to pay postage and are already at a number to qualify for the price of $30. Please let Pam know straightaway.
What did the maths student say when the witch doctor removed his curse?
- Incorporating the State Mixed Pairs Championship (Honour Board event)
- Tuesday Evenings 7pm: 4, 11, & 18 June
- Wednesday night 29th May will be scored as a Butler event. This is a way of pairs playing with team tactics.
- Our next Pizza session will be Wednesday night 5th June from 6.15 pm. Richard Hills will give a short talk on the Lebensol Convention over 1 NT.
- 22nd to 23rd June; attend one day or both!
- Will Jenner-O’Shea is a well-known Bridge teacher in Sydney.
Saturday 22nd June
- 9:45am – 4:15pm
- 9:45am-11am Forcing or Not? What does partner’s bid mean?
- 11am- 11:15am Morning tea
- 11:15am-12:30pm Handling Misfits and Showing Shapely Hands
- 13:15 pm Duplicate session with Will hosting.
- $45 for the entire day, includes morning tea & refreshments.
- Please bring your own lunch.
Sunday 23rd June
- 10am – 3pm
- 10:00 am - Better no trump bidding; everyone plays the same hand and discusses it
- Afternoon - Free play with assisted lesson hands
- $40 for the entire day, includes morning tea & refreshments.
- Please bring your own lunch.
- Thursday Evenings 7pm from 20th June, for 4 weeks
Australian Bridge Magazine Southern Tablelands Teams
- Arjuna De Livera, David Appleton, Ian Robinson, George Kozakos
- Niek Van Vucht, Patricia McDonald, Bernard Waters, Michael Cullen
- Philip Machin, Michelle Grant, Simon Grant, Meredith Hayes
- Odette Mayne, Dan Danton, Pamela McKittrick, Malcolm Wood
2019 Western Seniors’ Pairs (Perth)
2nd – Margaret Bourke & Peter Reynolds
Lessons & Seminars
Master Basics will resume on May 29, 2019 at 9:15am.
“Bidding - Responses and Rebids".
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
Monday / Friday
|27th - 31st May||Rule of 20 & rule of 15||1NT & responses|
|3rd - 7th June||High opening bids: pre-empts||Stayman|
|10th - 14th June||Weak 2D/2H/2S openings||Responses to 2NT|
|17th - 21st June||Strong 2C opening||Transfers after 2NT|
Older Drivers Study
Monash University wants to recruit older drivers for an innovative driving study (funded by the NRMA-ACT Road Safety Trust). They are looking for volunteers that will support the continued safe mobility of older drivers, and older non-drivers.
If you want more information please see the website below or contact Dr Daniel Griffiths.
- Phone: +61 (0)3 9905 1861
- ACTOD Phone: 03 9905 1905
- Find out more: www.bit.ly/ACTOlderDriver