Newsletter - 19 July 2019
From the President:
Good luck to the ACT’s preselected entrants in the Restricted Butler Pairs Championship - Cathi Bywater & Claire Hughes, and Jennifer Carter & Natasha Jacobs; and to all our contestants in the Butler Championships.
BFACT Interclub Teams – This weekend
- Sunday 21st July – 2 sessions
- Please be seated by 9:45am, for a 10am start.
- BYO (or buy locally) your own lunch.
If you are registered to play in the BFACT Interclub Teams, a reminder that it is on this weekend.
Wednesday Night Bridge – Butler night; Pizza Night
Wed 31st July will be run as a Butler competition. You will still play as a pair but the scoring is as if you are playing in a team.
It is a chance to play Team Bridge rather than Matchpoints. The important thing is to make your games and slams. Over tricks are not as important.
Our next pizza night will be 7th August and Richard Hills will talk about some interesting hands he came across at the ANC. As we all know if Richard thinks they are interesting, they are truly interesting.
- 25th August 12.30pm
- $16 per player (members), $18 for non-members
- Sign up online or on the noticeboard in the club.
Enter as a team of 3 with your friends, and you will be provided with an experienced captain to help and advise you.
Each player must have fewer than 300 masterpoints. You will be allocated to an appropriate section according to your experience.
Scrumptious eats and drinks afterwards.
George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill:
I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one.
Winston Churchill to George Bernard Shaw:
I cannot attend the first night; but will attend the second, if there is one.
Australian National Championships
Congratulations to the ACT Women’s team for winning the round-robin stage, and defeating WA in the final! The team consisted of: Margaret Bourke, Elizabeth Havas, Pam Crichton, Julia Hoffman, Erin Tewes, & Adrienne Stephens.
The ACT Seniors’ team finished 3rd, and the Youth team had a lot of fun. A highlight for the Youth was a strong win against NSW, who had been winning their matches by the maximum up till then.
Lessons & Seminars
The next lesson will be on July 24, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Defence - Rule of 11”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
25th July - Unusual 2NT overcall
1st Aug - What shape am I?
8th Aug - Planning at trick 1
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 22nd – 26th July - Doubles & Overcalls
- 2th July – 2nd Aug - No Trump Play #1
- 5th - 9th Aug - Trump Play #1