Newsletter - 26 July 2019
From the President:
Another lively session of Bridge 4 Kids was held in the club on Tuesday 16 July.
Thank you to Patricia McDonald, Bruce Crossman, Bev Crossman, Margaret Kyburz and Susie Ryrie for their loyal support of this program.
Wednesday Night Bridge – Butler night; Pizza Night
Wed 31st July will be run as a Butler competition. You will still play as a pair but the scoring is as if you are playing in a team.
It is a chance to play Team Bridge rather than Matchpoints. The important thing is to make your games and slams. Over tricks are not as important.
Our next pizza night will be 7th August and Richard Hills will talk about some interesting hands he came across at the ANC. As we all know if Richard thinks they are interesting, they are truly interesting.
- 25th August 12.30pm
- $16 per player (members), $18 for non-members
- Sign up online or on the noticeboard in the club.
Enter as a team of 3 with your friends, and you will be provided with an experienced captain to help and advise you.
Each player must have fewer than 300 masterpoints. You will be allocated to an appropriate section according to your experience.
Scrumptious eats and drinks afterwards.
- Saturday 31st August: All levels welcome
- basics of running a session, scoring and the critical Laws
- Sunday 1st September: for those with some experience directing,
- more in-depth discussions and some table simulations
Venue: Canberra Bridge Club
Cost, times and other details TBA.
This course is run by BFACT, with John McIlraith facilitating.
I have had a wonderful evening; but I am afraid that this wasn’t it.
- Groucho Marx
Australian National Championships
Congratulations to Richard Hills and Chris Stead on winning the ANC Swiss Pairs. They hit the front early and showed the rest of the field a clean pair of heels.
Jennifer Carter and Natasha Jacobs came fourth in the National Restricted Butler Pairs Championship.
In the Seniors Butler, which had a good Canberra contingent, Michael Smart and Jonathan Free won, with Ian Robinson and Neil Ewart second.
Novice: 1st Canberra – Jane Young, Jann White, John McDonald, Yvette Gilroy
2nd South Canberra - Meena Spiram, Penny Wild, Janice Arundel, Cathie Padovan
Restricted: 1st Capital - Subhash Mohindra, Shane Woodburn, Desh Gupta, Subhash Jalota
2nd Canberra - Odette Mayne, Judy Netting, Brenda Watts, Lionie Jones
Intermediate: 1st Canberra - Bruce & Bev Crossman, Geoff Hutchins, Helen Little
Seniors: 2nd Canberra - Andrew Kettle, Deborah Milner, Terri Henderson, Atul Hajela
Lessons & Seminars
The next lesson will be on July 31, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Defence - Second hand low, third hand high”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
1st Aug - What shape am I?
8th Aug - Planning at trick 1
15th Aug - Defence, Signals
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 2th July – 2nd Aug - No Trump Play #1
- 5th - 9th Aug - Trump Play #1
- 12th - 15th Aug - Card Play #2 Finesse