Newsletter - 30 August 2019
From the President:
26 teams played in the Teams of 3 last Sunday in a good atmosphere. It was wonderful to see members enjoying happy social interaction after the event.
Many thanks to Ian Robinson, Mary Tough, John Hempenstall, Sue La Peyre, Bob Cox, Jodi Tutty and Chris Quail for their hard work. Thank you also to the 26 captains and to all the members who filled in late in the piece and who were willing to be on standby.
We raised $302 for Barnardos in the raffle on the day. Thank you to Julia Hoffman.
Want to help at the Club, but can’t make an ongoing commitment?
Looking for something to do in the morning of Saturday 14th Sept?
The Club will be having a ‘working bee’, and we need helpers!
Saturday September 14th, from 9:30am
Suitable jobs can be found for any person willing to lend a hand – from wiping down bridgemates, to painting or lifting.
Contact the office if you have any questions.
Please put your name down on the sign-up sheet in the FOYER if you are able to help!
Tuesday Intermediate Lessons starting next Tuesday
“Bridge Basics for Continuing Students” with Barb Toohey
- Tuesday Sept 10, 17, 27 & October 1
- 10.00am – 12.00pm.
- $15.00 per lesson, or $55.00 for all four.
Sign-up sheet is up in the Barry Turner Room
The next course of beginners lessons start on Monday 9th (7-9pm) & Friday 13th September (10am-12pm).
$75 for the 6 lessons, including the textbook and all notes.
Enrol by 5th September, and pay only $65!
Please encourage your friends to learn.
Tuesday & Thursday Nights – ‘Summer Time’ from September 3rd
From 3rd September, the Tuesday & Thursday night sessions will begin at 7:30pm.
CBC Matchpoint Pairs – inc Von der Pahlen Mixed Pairs
- Thursdays at 7:30pm - Sept 5th, 12th, 19th
- Sign up online
- Tuesdays at 7:30pm – Sept 17th, 24th, Oct 1st & 18th
- Semi-Finals: 30th Oct; Finals 6th Nov. (Flexible dates)
- Sign up online
The next Pizza night will be Wed September 4th.
Christy will be continuing her exercises on doubling.
- Gateway event for newer players
- o Undergraduate: Less than 2MP
- o Graduate: Less than 5 MP
- Sunday 29th September, 1:15pm (seated by 1pm)
- Sunday 29th September, 9:30am
- Open & Intermediate (combined) – Beverley Carmichael Trophy (under 1000MP)
- Restricted (less than 300MP) – Valerie Mitchell Trophy
- Provincial & Novice (less than 50MP) – Earl Dudley Trophy
- Eastlake Football Club, Gungahlin
- October 4th - 7th
- Events for players of all standards
Helpers for setup are required on Thursday 3rd October 4:30pm, and helpers for packing up/take-down are needed for Monday 7th October 4:30pm.
As always, many hands make light work!
It’s “Annual General Meeting” Season!
Canberra Bridge Club
The AGM of the Canberra Bridge Club will be held on Tuesday 24 September at 5.30pm.
Nomination forms are available at the club. Please show your support for the club by coming along.
Bridge Federation of the ACT (BFACT)
The Bridge Federation of the ACT is our ‘state’ body, to which we (Canberra BC), Capital BC, South Canberra BC, Cootamundra BC and Monaro (Cooma) BC are affiliated.
Members of the Canberra Bridge Club are members of BFACT by virtue of their CBC membership.
BFACT’s AGM will be held at CBC on Sunday 29 September at about 5pm, at the conclusion of play in the Gala Pairs.
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
- Mark Twain
Teams of Three
Overall & Section B winners: David Hoffman, Niek Vonthethoff, Steve Kyburz & Miklos Tifan
Section A: Chris Stead, Cathi Bywater, Claire Hughes & Pamela McKittrick
Section C: Erin Tewes, Sue Clark, Peter Clark & Claudia Greenham
State Master Mixed Pairs
- Elizabeth Havas & Stephen Mendick (Section A)
- Paul Nelson & Rowan Corbett (Section B)
World Youth Open Bridge Championships (held in Croatia)
Andrew came 4th in the World Youth Individual Championships
Congratulations to him on a very successful tournament representing Australia!
The Australian Youth Team of CBC member Andrew Spooner with Renee Cooper, John McMahon, Nicholas Ranson, Matt Smith, Jamie Thompson and Michael Doecke (NPC) won the qualifying event, and won their quarter final against Japan (see below) before losing to the Netherlands in the semi final.
Better still the team’s good sportsmanship was reported in The Daily Bulletin:
Australia beat Japan by 1 IMP in their quarterfinal match of the U-26 teams.
Then the Australians found a 1-IMP scoring error – IN JAPAN’S FAVOUR. They went to the TDs and reported it. The Japanese were found and a 2-board playoff ensued, won by Australia. Their win in the playoff by 4 IMPs seemed appropriate karma.
Lessons & Seminars
See “Upcoming Events” section for the Tuesday Intermediate Lessons “Bridge Basics for Continuing Beginners”
The next lesson will be on September 4, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Transfers – Transfer bids after 1NT”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
5th September – Rule of 11
12th September – Second hand play
19th September - Third hand play
26th September - To Cover or Not to Cover
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 2nd – 6th September - Doubles & Overcalls
- 9th - 13th September - Rule of 20 & Rule of 15
- 16th - 20th September - High opening bids: Pre-empts
- 23rd - 27th September - Weak 2D/2H/2S openings