Newsletter - 18 September 2020
From the President:
Do you have spare time after playing bridge? Please feel free to borrow books from our restocked library – $1 the first time and then 50 cents for the next book as you return the previous one.
Welcome to Ruitain Lang, who is currently playing on Monday night.
Next week at the Clubrooms
Have you read the latest versions of the CBC COVID-19 Safety Plan and Checklist for Members?
- COVID-19 Safety Plan & Checklist & Checklist - Updated 27 August 2020
Weekly Sessions Schedule
Please handle the bridgemates with care as you return them to the box for cleaning. They are valuable pieces of equipment that are being handled more than usual at present.
For the week commencing Monday 21 September we have four sessions scheduled at the clubrooms
- Monday evening 7:00pm (walk-in) & &:15pm (event) Christy Geromboux
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm Sally Barber
- Wednesday morning 10:00am Ian Robinson
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm Bruce Crossman
Please remember that "mingling" - unnecessary interactions between individuals - is forbidden due to problems with the spread of Covid. It is therefore critical that players do not move between rounds until told to do so by the director.
Red Masterpoint sessions at the Clubrooms
The tournament committee has decided to conduct a number of Red Masterpoint sessions at the clubrooms over the next three month period.
For the months of September to November, each face-to-face session will have one red pointed session per month. Red points will be awarded on:
- Monday Evening 4th Monday of the month - September 28
- Tuesday Afternoon 1st Tuesday of the month - October 6
- Wednesday morning 2nd Wednesday of the month - October 14 (Olive Lott Pairs Oct 7, 14 & 21)
- Friday afternoon 3rd Friday of the month - October 16
In the month of October, an additional Red Point Event (The Olive Lott Pairs) will be played on the first three Wednesday mornings.
4 week Comp from 28th September
Monday Evenings 28th September, 5th, 12th & 19th October - 7:15pm
Location: Canberra Bridge Club (face-to-face session)
- Honour board event
- Pre-entry essential
- Entries close Friday 25th September at 12pm midday.
- Late entries accepted only under strict conditions.
- The entry fee is $48 per player for the 4 week event. Please pay by direct deposit in advance:
BSB 032 730 Account number 355176
- Enter by:
For the week commencing Monday 21 September, we have scheduled 6 tourneys on BBO.
Note that all our BBO sessions are continuing as usual, including the evening sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Monday Morning 10:00am Bruce Crossman
- Tuesday Evening 7:15pm (imps) Stephen Fisher
- Wednesday Morning Novice 10:15am Barb Toohey
- Wednesday Evening 7:15pm Christy Geromboux
- Thursday morning 9:55am (imps) Jodi Tutty
- Thursday Morning 10:00am (matchpoint) Jodi Tutty
A reminder that BBO points are NOT ABF masterpoints. You can view the ABF masterpoints awarded in a session on the CBC website.
Bridge Magazines: Free to a good home
Complete sets (not bound) of miscellaneous bridge magazines. If interested, please call Val on 0417 436 041.
Please see the newsletter 11 September for details.
Movie Tickets Giveaway
Five (5) double-passes to the film NEVER TOO LATE will be drawn at sessions held in the clubrooms in the week commencing 28 September 2020, one double pass per session.
Be there to win!
Never Too Late
JACKI WEAVER, JACK THOMPSON, SHANE JACOBSON, JAMES CROMWELL, DENNIS WATERMAN AND ROY BILLING
In cinemas from October 29
"When a nursing home stands in the way of a 50-year courtship, four grumpy old Vietnam Vets unite to re-enact the great escape. They may have lost their memory and speed, but these renegades prove it’s never too late for new adventures, even if you have to break rules to break free."
Online Bridge Congresses
- 25th, 26th & 27th September
- Team entry fee: $85AUD / $50USD ($50AUD / $35USD discount rate*)
- Entries close 5pm 24th September
- Swiss Teams - up to 8 people in each team
- More information on the Down Under Tournament webpage
- Saturday 26 September, 9:30am
- More information on the NSWBA event page for CCLC Bridge Club
- Sunday 27 September, 10am
- More information on the NSWBA event page for IBA
- Monday 5th October, 10:15am
- Three categories:
- Novice (<100MPs),
- Restricted (<300MPs) and
- RED masterpoints
- 6 rounds of 8 boards on Bridge Base Online (BBO) – 24 boards in the morning, a lunch break, then another 24 boards in the afternoon
- Players must have registered their BBO usernames on the ABF Mailing List at http://www.abfevents.com.au/bbo.asp
- Register at http://www.nswba.com.au/tourn/eventDetails.asp?tid=3306&T=X
Joan Butts ABF Education Days on Zoom
Professional Development Days info
- 4 hours
- Anyone is welcome, but there is a limit of 20 people
- View the ABF Education Day flyer (PDF)
Dates & Topics:
- Tuesday 6 October Defence
- Tuesday 10 November Declarer Play
- Tuesday 17 November Teacher Training Program
- Thursday 26 November Help with Play
ABF ONLINE EVENTS
13 September 2020
NS 5th Helen Little & Geoff Hutchins 61.26%
EW 3rd Pam & Ross Crichton 62.64%
- A CBC member was recently helping a relative try to recover deleted information from his computer when the relative said "When I selected "Delete All" I didn't think it would delete EVERYTHING"!
- I read that 4,153,237 people were married last year. Not to cause any trouble, but shouldn’t that be an even number?
- I find it ironic that the colours red, white and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.