Newsletter - 16 October 2020
From the President:
I look forward to seeing those who can make it for the
Working Bee at the clubrooms tomorrow,
Saturday 17 October at 9.30
to help with jobs inside and outside the building.
The CBC AGM will be held on Monday 26 October at 5.30pm. Please note:
- closing date for nominations for committee is midday Thursday 22 October
- and the closing date to lodge a proxy is midday Thursday 23 October.
This bridge club is fortunate to be situated in the ACT, and to have the space to play bridge in a way that is compliant with Covid restrictions. Let’s all put the icing on the cake by being friendly to our opponents, and partners, at all times. Please try to ensure that people leave your table happier than when they arrived.
Reopening the kitchen from Monday 12 Oct
The club reopened the downstairs kitchen on Monday 12 October 2020. This continues to be on a TRIAL week-by-week basis, testing whether we can operate in a COVID-safe way, as demonstrated by strong member compliance with the arrangements outlined in the Kitchen Reopening Document.
- never more than one person in the kitchen;
- do not congregate in the foyer;
- a limit of one mug or glass per person per session (it would be helpful if you bring your own mug/glass);
- members must load their used item into the downstairs dishwasher prior to the session finishing;
- kitchen opens 30 minutes after session starts and closes 45 minutes before end of session;
- Members are welcome to continue to bring their own Thermos or bottled water.
Next week at the Clubrooms
Have you read the latest versions of the CBC COVID-19 Safety Plan and Checklist for Members?
Vouchers must be purchased in multiples of five, preferably by in advance by direct deposit into the CBC bank account
- BSB: 032 730
- Account no: 355176
If you are paying in cash at the club, you need to have the correct change for vouchers, again in multiples of five
For the week commencing Monday 19 October we have six sessions scheduled at the clubrooms
- Monday morning 10:00am Bruce Crossman
- Monday evening 7:00pm (walk-in) & &:15pm (event) Christy Geromboux
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm Sally Barber
- Wednesday morning 10:00am Ian Robinson
- Thursday morning 10:00am (MP and Imps) Jodi Tutty
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm Bruce Crossman
Red Masterpoint sessions at the Clubrooms
For the months of September to November, each face-to-face session will have one red pointed session per month. Red points will be awarded on:
- Monday Morning 4th Monday of the month - October 26
- Monday Evening 4th Monday of the month - October 26
- Tuesday Afternoon 1st Tuesday of the month - November 3
- Wednesday morning 2nd Wednesday of the month - Olive Lott Pairs Oct 7, 14 & 21 Oct
- Friday afternoon 3rd Friday of the month - November 20
In the month of October, an additional Red Point Event (The Olive Lott Pairs) will be played on the first three Wednesday mornings.
Monday Evenings: 26 Oct, 2 & 9 Nov, at 7:15pm
Full details on the CBC Ted Crichton Swiss Butler Pairs event page.
For the week commencing Monday 19 October, we have scheduled 5 tourneys on BBO.
- Monday Morning 10:15am Bruce Crossman
- Tuesday Evening 7:15pm (imps) Stephen Fisher
- Wednesday Morning Novice 10:15am Barb Toohey
- Wednesday Evening 7:15pm Christy Geromboux
- Thursday Morning 10:15am (matchpoint) Jodi Tutty
- Monday 26 October, 2020 - 5:30pm
- Held at the CBC Clubrooms - please read and observe the COVID-19 Checklist for the AGM (below)
- Members may choose to participate in the AGM via Zoom - please contact the Managers to arrange
The agenda, draft minutes from the 2019 AGM, nominaiton forms, and proxy forms are available from the Committee Noticeboard and for download:
- 2020 AGM agenda
- 2019 AGM draft minutes
- 2020 AGM Nomination Form (due midday 22 October 2020)
- 2020 AGM Proxy Form (due midday 23 October 2020)
- COVID-19 Checklist for the AGM
Nominations can be viewed on the 2020 AGM webpage.
You can use Zoom on many devices – computers (PC or laptop), tablet or iPad, mobile phone or landline. You do not have to have a camera to participate.
The first time that you join a Zoom meeting the software will automatically download to your device so you won’t need to do anything else. Downloads usually takes a couple of minutes.
Having a camera and microphone in your device allows you to show both video (images) and sound. But neither are essential. As long as you have speakers you can listen to the meeting.
A link to the AGM can be emailed to you from the manager (see above).
Zoom have a very short (1min) video explaining the process: https://support.zoom.us/hc/enus/articles/201362193-Joining-a-Meeting.
BFACT Annual General Meeting
The Bridge Federation of the ACT (BFACT) is to hold its Annual General Meeting commencing at 5PM Monday 16 November 2020. The AGM is to be held at the Canberra Bridge Club. Members will also be able to attend and vote on all matters via Zoom. Further information on Zoom attendance will be provided closer to the meeting.
All information about the meeting (Agenda, Financial Statements, Nomination and Proxy Forms) are available on the BFACT web site (www.bfact.com.au) under Notices.
Joan Butts ABF Education Days on Zoom
ABF Online Events
4th EW Leonie Jones & Brenda Watts 56.18%
3rd NS Julia Hoffman & Noelene Law 60.65%
5th NS Sean Mullamphy & Tony Bond 60.22%
4th EW Leonie Jones & Brenda Watts 59.42%
Do not bid once more just to show that you had your bid last time.
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball,
And that is to have either a clear conscience or none at all.
He has all the virtues I dislike, and none of the vices I admire.