Newsletter - 15 January 2021
From the President:
I would like to thank the volunteers who helped to remove the Christmas decorations from the Club house last Saturday, in particular, Pam Crichton, John Hempenstall, Peter Hughes and Janet Kahler.
As I am sure you are all aware, the Club has registered for the CBR COVID app. The app code has been attached to the side tables in the Barry Turner Room, making it easy to sign in when sitting. Please remember to sign in when in the Club rooms.
Why can’t I use the kitchen before play starts?
To ensure 1.5 metres social distancing, the Club requires that only one person can be in the kitchen at a time. Compliance with this requirement is proving difficult for some players; it would be much more difficult with the greater demand for the kitchen before play when people are moving around and getting settled.
- After play has commenced, the reduced opportunity for players to be away from the table means that social distancing in the kitchen is much easier to observe. It also cuts down on the time members have to wait for the kitchen to be unoccupied.
- At its January meeting, the Committee discussed the kitchen arrangements and confirmed the continuation of the “no kitchen access before play” requirement. Please observe this requirement and CBC’s other COVID protocols.
We want to ensure a COVID-safe environment for all.
When parking at the Club, please park in the marked spaces only.
Areas of the carpark which are not marked for parking are done deliberately to provide essential access. This includes both:
- the Emergency Vechicle Parking at the front of the stairs, as well as
- the areas near our Red Commercial Bin.
Parking in these areas blocks access, and may result in the Club recouping any blocked-access fees we incur from the offending vechicle's driver ($50 for the bin collection).
Magnetic Name Badges
Fancy those stylish CBC name badges? Did you know they even use magnets instead of a pin - so there are no holes in your clothing?
If you would like to order a Magnetic Name Badge at the cost of $15 per badge, please see the Office Managers to put down your name, ABF Number (to print on it also) and payment. Payment must be made upfront, either with exact cash or via bank transfer.
We will keep this call-for-badges open for a week or two, so please let us know ASAP if you would like to be included in the order.
As stated in our COVID plan, please remember to practise good respiratory hygiene, eg, cough/sneeze into your elbow or directly into a tissue, then wash your hands or use hand sanitiser before you touch the playing cards. If you are unwell, stay at home.
Please remember to familiarise yourselves with the Club’s COVID plan, which is regularly updated in line with the ACT Government’s COVID’s health advice.
The Committee Meeting minutes from 7 December 2020 are now available for download on our Committee page.
RealBridge Online Platform Trial
The committee meeting of 11 January has reviewed the RealBridge feedback from the trial period. RealBridge will continue on Wednesday nights until the return of in-Club Wednesday night sessions.
RealBridge sessions will now cost $8, with Concessions ($7 / $4 students) until 30 March 2021.
Check-In CBR App
If you come to the Club you will notice we have some new signs requesting people 'check-in' with the Check-In CBR App. This app is operated by ACT Health and is used to streamline contract tracing if required.
Whilst we hope ACT Health never need to use it for our Club, we strongly encourage members to download the app to their smartphones and check-in every time you come to the Club.
Visitors to the Club will be required to either use the Check-In CBR App (preferred) or give their name and phone number to the Manager. Since we have records of who has played in which session, and the contact details for all members already, use of the app is optional (but strongly encouraged) for members. However if a member is visiting the Club but not playing, they must check-in with the app or Manager/Director.
Use of the app allows us one person per two square metres at the club, so a greater capacity in the Club rooms if we need it. The 1.5 metre social distancing requirement has not changed, so the three table set up will remain for the foreseeable future. Please continue to observe the 1.5 metre requirement, both at the club and elsewhere.
Next week at the Clubrooms
Have you read the new versions of the CBC COVID-19 Safety Plan and Checklist for Members & Kitchen?
- COVID-19 Safety Plan & Checklist & Checklist (including how to buy vouchers and payment details)
- At the end of all sessions, all players (not just east and west) are responsible for cleaning the tables, bidding boxes etc.
For the week commencing Monday 18 January:
- Monday morning 10:00am
- Monday evening 7:00pm (walk-in) & Monday evening 7:15pm (event)
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm
- Wednesday morning 10:00am
- Thursday morning 10:00am (MP and Imps)
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm
Reminders for in-Club sessions:
- Payment of vouchers ($50/$45) by online bank transfer is greatly preferred, to reduce cash handling and processing time. For those unable to pay by bank transfer, please have the exact cash amount to prevent needing change given.
- Please make Vouchers & Membership payments made via Table Money envelope, unless this is a volunteer at the entrance door. Vouchers can be collected from the Director.
- One person ONLY in the kitchen at a time, after start of play. You are welcome to gently remind others if you see they have forgotten.
For the week commencing Monday 18 January, we have scheduled on BBO:
- Monday Morning 10:15am Bruce Crossman
- Thursday Morning 10:15am (matchpoint) Jodi Tutty
- Wednesday Evening Matchpoint/Duplicate 7:15pm - No registration required. A link to the session will be posted on the RealBridge information page at 5pm Wednesday.
Directed by John Donovan
The BFACT interclub teams event to be held on Sunday 17 January 2021. It will be held at CBC, play starts at 10am. Cost is $90 per team (or $40 for Youth teams).
Full details available on the BFACT InterClub Teams event page.
- Monday Evenings 7:15pm for 2 weeks
- February 1st & 8th
- Enter online by 12noon Friday 29 Jan
Upcoming Education / Lessons
Competitive Bidding and Play (More Bridge Basics for Continuing Students)
- Tuesdays 10am-12noon.
- 4 weeks, starting Tuesday 16th Feb, ending on 9th March 2021.
- Cost: $15 per class, or $55 for all 4.
These classes are suitable for Novice players - must have completed a Beginners Course or equivalent. Covers bidding by the opponents focusing on Doubles and Overcalls and the plan for defending focusing on Leads and Signals.
- Week 1: Doubles
- Week 2: Overcalls
- Week 3: Leads
- Week 4: Signals
Master the Basics
Master the Basics will resume for 2021 from Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th February.
There is a new start time of 9.00am.
Both sessions will be available face-to-face in the Club rooms and on Zoom.
The supervised lessons will resume for 2021 from Monday 1st Feb 7pm, and Friday 5th Feb 9:30am.
ABF Nationwide Pairs Online
10th January - Restricted
E/W 1st - Odette Mayne & Pamela McKittrick - 61.53%
10th January - Open
E/W 1st - Elizabeth Yoo & Peter Waight - 67.97%
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember amateurs built the Ark... Professionals built the Titanic.