Newsletter - 26 February 2021
From the President:
This weekend the Club is holding its first all day competition in over a year. May this competition be the beginning of a more normal bridge world with the more face to face competitions not just in Canberra but Australia wide. While not everyone can win, I hope the event runs smoothly. Remember to introduce yourselves to your opposition and enjoy yourselves.
Do you know someone working in the ACT Dept Health or COVID-19 compliance area?
The Club is trying to get some extra advice with regard to our unique situation. Unforuntately the phoneline operators haven't been able to answer our specific questions.
If you know someone who might be able to help us with our questions, please contact Ian Robinson.
Keep an eye out for your monthly emailed CBCPay account statement next week - we expect to send them on (or before) Friday 5 March. (Delay is possible due to time restraints and needing all data entered before we can send them. We will try our best to send them out by Friday night.)
Need to hand in a CBCPay form? Please hand it to the Director at the start of session (or email to the managers).
When making bank deposits, it is important your reference field is "CBCPay" and your ABF Number (e.g. CBCPay 123456). Please sign up for CBCPay before you deposit money! For those members who do not use internet banking, special CBCPay arrangements can be made - please contact the managers or Ian Robinson for details.
Please note, in-Club visitors cannot use CBCPay (unless they have it due to online play). It is for members and online players.
Thank you to all our members who are using CBCPay, and those who correctly label their deposits. It is saving us significant administration time!
Red Masterpoint Daytime Sessions (March to May)
During the eight-week period commencing 15 March the club will allocate Red Masterpoint status to 18 individual duplicate sessions, spread over our seven face to face session timeslots and the Wednesday evening RealBridge session. Each of these regular duplicate sessions will conduct one red MP session per month. Additionally, a two-week Seniors Pairs event (with Red masterpoint event awards in addition to sessional awards) will be held on Monday Morning April 19 and 26.
- Monday Morning 15 March and 12 April
- Monday evening 15 March and 12 April
- Tuesday afternoon 23 March and 20 April
- Wednesday Morning 24 March and 21 April
- Wednesday Evening Real Bridge 24 March and 21 April
- Thursday Morning 1 April and 29 April
- Friday Morning 9 April and 7 May
- Friday Afternoon 9 April and 7 May
- Monday Morning 19 and 26 April (Seniors' Pairs event)
There is nothing members need to do to become eligible to receive Red Masterpoints, simply turn up and play as per normal.
Resumption of Friday Morning 10am Bridge Session - for all play levels
Our 10am Friday Morning Bridge session for all levels will resume from 19th March, with an anticipated finish at 12:30pm (due to the 1:15pm Afternoon Session). Our current 10am Supervised Session will of course continue concurrent with this session.
Next week at the Clubrooms
- Monday morning 10:00am
- Monday evening 7:00pm (walk-in) & Monday evening 7:20pm (event)
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm
- Wednesday morning 10:00am
- Thursday morning 10:00am (MP and Imps)
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm
Reminders for in-Club sessions:
- It is a condition of entry that you have read and agree to abide by our COVID-19 Safety Plan.
- If able, please download the CBR Check-In App before coming to the Club. As of 6 March 2021, all people will be required to be checked in (themselves or by another person), with this App -- a Government requirement.
- One person ONLY in the kitchen at a time, after start of play. You are welcome to gently remind others if you see they have forgotten.
- Kitchen closes 45 minutes before the end of the session - after this time, you should only enter to kitchen to put your glass/mug in the dishwasher.
- Wednesday Evening 7:15pm - No registration required.
Directed by John Donovan
- Thursday Afternoon 1:30pm - No registration required.
Directed by Sally Barber
A link to the session will be posted on the RealBridge information page 2 hours before the start of session.
BFACT Selection Events for the ANC
- Open final on 17-18 April 2021
- a qualifying event over 4 Mondays evenings from 15 March at 7:20pm
- a final 8-9 May 2021
- View the Seniors Team Qualifying Regulations (PDF)
Upcoming Education / Lessons
Competitive Bidding and Play (More Bridge Basics for Continuing Students)
- Tuesdays 10am-12noon.
- 4 weeks, starting Tuesday 16th Feb, ending on 9th March 2021.
- Cost: $15 per class, or $55 for all 4.
- Please register attendance using our online form
These classes are suitable for Novice players - must have completed a Beginners Course or equivalent.
- Week 3: Leads
- Week 4: Signals
Master the Basics
Master the Basics is on Wednesdays.
There is a start time of 9.00am.
The lesson will be available face-to-face in the Club rooms and on Zoom.
To receive the zoom link, please email Barb Toohey.
The supervised lessons are on Mondays 7pm, and Fridays 9:30am.
ABF Nationwide Online Pairs
21 February - Open
1st E/W: Adrienne Stephens & Peter Kahler
Did we miss a member's result? Please let us know via email so we can publish it next week.
Why are obtuse angles so depressed?
Because they are never right.
Why do plants hate maths?
Because it gives them square roots.
Preemptive Bidding: A wrap up - by Joan Butt's Guided Paths
The Preemptive Side
- Suit quality is vital - two of the top three, or three of the top five honours (♠KQ10762 or ♠QJ10752)
- Vulnerability is important - the best time: your side not vulnerable and their side vulnerable
- The level opened shows how many cards in the suit, i.e. 2♥ = six cards, 3♥ = seven cards, 4♥ = eight cards
- The point count for preempting must be less than an opening one-bid; 6-9 (including length points), never 10,11 high card points, as that is a one-level opening.
- Partner will raise your preempt with a fit (three + trumps) and points are less important.
The Other Side
- Bid over a preempt if you possibly can. An opening hand (13+) is needed in direct seat. (2♥ and you are next)
- The preempt has actually helped you to play the hand because you know a lot about the shape and points of the preempt
- Play the preempting hand to be short in other suits, and therefore the other opponent will usually have those points.
- Do not preempt over their preempt. If you jump, it's strong (very strong...16+ e.g. 2♠ by them, 4♥ by you ♠107 ♥AKJ1086 ♦AK8 ♣K43)
- Double over their preempt with the correct shape and an opening hand, i.e. shortage in their suit 13+ in direct seat.
Want weekly tips and quizes? You can also sign up for Joan Butt's newsletter.