Newsletter - 22 October 2021
From the President
The new committee will hold its first meeting on Monday afternoon. Previous committee minutes are uploaded to the Club’s web site after they are ratified.
One of the items for discussion by the new committee will be the return to face to face bridge.
However, until face to face bridge returns, remember that the Club is operating many sessions of RealBridge, including new sessions on Monday and Thursday afternoons. I do recommend that you try a session on RealBridge – it is very easy to learn and the other players are very willing to help newcomers navigate the system.
Enjoy your bridge and stay safe.
Due to demand, there is a Taster scheduled for 2.30pm on Wednesday 27 October. To find the session go the Canberra Bridge Club homepage, scroll down to the Realbridge square and when you alight to the Realbridge page, scroll down to the Taster link, which should be live from 2.15pm. If you have a partner all the better, or just turn up and ask the director to find you a partner by typing in the chatbox. The taster lasts just 30 minutes and wil give members confidence to understand what all the fuss is about. It's virtually like being at the club! No charge to try.
Member Table money will be deducted from players CBCPay accounts. Visitors fees will be paid for by their member-partner, or via prior arrangement by emailing the office.
Cost: $8 members/visitors, $7 concession members (including event).
- Monday morning 10:00am
- Monday evening - 7:00pm (24 boards)
- Monday afternoon 2pm Relaxed and Social
- Monday Evening 7.15pm State Open Teams week 1 of 4 week competition
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm
- Wednesday morning 10:00am
- Wednesday Supervised Lesson: 6.30pm (via Zoom), then Play at 7.15 on Realbridge
- Wednesday evening 7:15pm (24 boards)
- Thursday morning 10:00am - Duplicate (MP)
- Thursday morning 10:10am - Butler (IMPs)
- Thursday afternoon 2:00pm (24 boards)
- Friday Supervised Lesson: 9:30am (via Zoom), then Play at 10.15am on RealBridge Supervised Only
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm
- Saturday afternoon 1:15pm
Links to sessions are on our RealBridge page.
CBC low balance email reminders were sent out this week. If you didn't get one you're in the black!
The ABF Masterpoints website and database have been restored after a migration issue. Territory reports for September are available. News on promotions in the next newsletter
Upcoming Online Events
State Open Teams
The State Open Teams Qualifying, semi-finals and consolation runs for four weeks starting on Monday 25 October with a one week break on 8 November. Entries close at 10.00am on Monday 25 October.
The event (except the Consolation on 22 November) will be played using RealBridge screen mode. The club will conduct one free RB screen mode taster session (30 minutes duration) this coming Thursday (21 October) at 5.00pm.
Entrants to the State Open Teams are encouraged to join the taster. An explanation of RB Screen mode and further information is on the CBC website in the State Open Teams publicity in the What’s On section.
The Australian National Congress Open and Restricted Butlers
This is the online replacement to the ANC Butler which will be held on RealBridge.
The Open Butler will be run in two stages:
- Stage I - Sat / Sun 13-14th November
- Stage II - Mon / Tue 15-16th November
The Restricted Butler (open to players with less than 300 masterpoints as of 1st January 2021) will be run as a stand-alone event on Sat / Sun 13-14th November
The starting time each day is 12:00 AEDT (or 09:00 AWST)
The anticipated finishing time on the weekend is 18:30 AEDT
There will not be any Seniors', Women's or Mixed Butler pairs events.
Cootamundra Charity Duplicate Bridge Day - Sunday 21 November 2021
For those wanting face to face bridge please consider the Cootmundra Charity Duplicate Bridge Day . Please bring a partner. The day aids Can Assist.
At the Cootamundra Ex-Services Club (Auditorium) 299 Parker Street 9.00 am for start of play 9.30 am
$40 per head, morning tea and lunch provided, prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, plus Novice under 35 MP
Beginners Lessons in 2022
While face to face bridge is still a little way off, the Club is planning and scheduling face to face bridge beginner lessons commencing in the first week of February 2022, on Wednesday evenings and Friday mornings. More details closer to the time. Please note and share with friends and family. Perhaps a Christmas present or new hobby for 2022?
Master the Basics
Master the Basics, is on each week at 9:00am on Thursday mornings before the duplicate sessions, for approximately half an hour.
MTB caters for a range of abilities and each week covers a fundamental concept to an increased level of mastery. Students who have done a Beginners Course and/or some Supervised play and have limited experience are welcome to attend. With more experience you will still benefit from a deeper understanding of the concept being discussed.
No registration is needed.
Cost is $6 for CBC Members (paid via CBCPay) and $8 for Non-Members.
Penalty Doubles by Joan Butts
- If partner has not bid and you double at a low level, that is for take-out, not penalty, and you are asking partner to bid their longest suit
- But if partner has bid, and you double later, it would be for penalty
- With a shortage in partner’s suit, and strong cards in the opponents’ suit, try a penalty double (it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work!)
- Prefer to show a fit for partner’s suit first, rather than doubling for penalties
- If partner makes a take-out double and you leave it in for penalties at a low level, you need at least five (good) trumps of the opponent’s suit and high cards in other suits
- If your partner preempts and the next hand bids, a double by you is for penalty
- If the opponents open 1NT and you double, it’s for penalty
- Be cautious doubling the opponents’ partscore contracts for penalty because if they make, they will score the game bonus as well
- Doubling a freely bid slam is a “Lightner” double and asks for the lead of an unusual suit (it suggests a void)
- If you are defending a low level contract that’s been doubled for penalty, lead a trump
- Sometimes the opponents will make a contract you double, but that’s life!
Now's a good time to reflect on all quarantine jokes that no longer or will shortly no longer apply!
- Why did the chicken cross the road? Because the chicken behind it didn’t know how to socially distance properly.
- Two grandmothers were bragging about their precious darlings. One of them says to the other, “Mine are so good at social distancing, they won’t even call me.”
- Who’s idea was it to sing “Happy Birthday” while washing your hands? Now every time I go to the bathroom, my kids expect me to walk out with a cake.
- Ran out of toilet paper and started using lettuce leaves. Today was just the tip of the iceberg, tomorrow romaines to be seen.
- My mom always told me I wouldn’t accomplish anything by lying in bed all day. But look at me now, ma! I’m saving the world!
- After years of wanting to thoroughly clean my house but lacking the time, this week I discovered that wasn’t the reason.
- If I keep stress-eating at this level, the buttons on my shirt will start socially distancing from each other.
- Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
- Yesterday I ran out of soap and body wash and all I could find was dish detergent. Then it Dawned on me.
- Being quarantined with a talkative child is like having an insane parrot glued to your shoulder.
- I never thought the comment “I wouldn’t touch them with a 6-foot pole” would become a national policy, but here we are!
- The World Health Organization announced that dogs cannot contract COVID-19. Dogs previously held in quarantine can now be released. To be clear, WHO let the dogs out.
- Since we’re all in quarantine I guess we’ll be making only inside jokes from now on.
- I’m not talking to myself, I’m having a parent-teacher conference.
- This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog — we laughed a lot.
- Nothing like relaxing on the couch after a long day of being tense on the couch.
- Pollen still coming out during a global pandemic? Read the room!
- Knock-knock! Who is there? Seriously, don’t touch my door and step back 6 feet.