Newsletter - 13 November 2020
From the President:
Table numbers at the Club, though table numbers are slowly increasing, have not yet returned to pre-COVID numbers. In several sessions where previously the room was divided into a ‘red’ or more competitive section and a ‘blue’ or more relaxed session, not enough people are now playing to allow such a breakup. Bearing this in mind, it is important that each of us remains courteous at all time to both our partner, to the opposition and to the director. Avoid any remark or action that might cause embarrassment to any other player – or which might interfere with his/her enjoyment of the game. Please no distracting mobile phones or derogatory comments on either declarer’s play or the defence.
When using a bidding box try to decide what your bid is going to be before reaching for or touching cards in the bidding box, and bids should be left on the table until the opening lead is made. The bridge rules are based on common sense and courtesy, and are aimed at all players enjoying the game.
With this in mind enjoy your bridge!
New Members - Welcome!
We would love to send a big welcome to all our new members!
If you see new faces around the Club - why not introduce yourself and say 'hello' (from 1.5m apart, of course!).
If you are looking for a partner to play Bridge with, please let our managers know so we can help match you up with another person of similar level seeking a partner. If we don't know you're looking, we can't help!
The committee minutes from the September and October meetings are now available for download on the Committee webpage.
Kitchen Volunteers Required
The club reopened the downstairs kitchen on Monday 12 October 2020. This continues to be on a TRIAL week-by-week basis, testing whether we can operate in a COVID-safe way, as demonstrated by strong member compliance with the arrangements outlined in the Kitchen Reopening Document.
Our annual Christmas Raffle is now available for purchasing raffle tickets at the club, and on display for your drool-worthy pleasure. Please bring your own pen to write your raffle tickets and exact change, due to our COVID-19 Safety Plan we cannot share pens or give change.
Tickets are $2 each, or 3 for $5.
50% of profits go to Canberra Bridge Club, and 50% to our Club charity Beyond Blue.
- Christmas Cake
- Christmas Crackers (Bon-Bons)
Barnardos Christmas Gifts for Kids
CBC has a tradition of present giving at Christmas.This year we would like to direct these gifts to Barnardos. If you wish to help, please bring:
- presents for teenage boys aged 14-18 (e.g. Gift vouchers for movies, bowling, jb hifi, Westfield, clothing or sports stores, lynx or other hygiene or pamper packs, clothes) would be very welcome unwrapped.
- Food such as Christmas puddings and chocolates & more standard items such as tinned, food, spaghetti, jam, cereal, Milo will also help.
We need the donations by Friday 11 December.
Next week at the Clubrooms
Have you read the latest versions of the CBC COVID-19 Safety Plan and Checklist for Members?
- COVID-19 Safety Plan & Checklist & Checklist (including how to buy vouchers and payment details)
For the week commencing Monday 16 November we have six sessions scheduled at the clubrooms
- Monday morning 10:00am Bruce Crossman
- Monday evening 7:00pm (walk-in) & 7:15pm (event) Ian Robinson
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm Sally Barber
- Wednesday morning 10:00am Ian Robinson
- Thursday morning 10:00am (MP and Imps) Jodi Tutty
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm Bruce Crossman
Red Masterpoint sessions at the Clubrooms
For the months of September to November, each face-to-face session will have one red pointed session per month. Red points will be awarded on:
- Monday Morning 4th Monday of the month - November 23
- Monday Evening 4th Monday of the month - November 23
- Tuesday Afternoon 1st Tuesday of the month - December 1
- Wednesday morning 2nd Wednesday of the month - December 9
- Friday afternoon 3rd Friday of the month - November 20
For the week commencing Monday 16 November, we have scheduled 4 tourneys on BBO.
- Monday Morning 10:15am Bruce Crossman
- Tuesday Evening 7:15pm (imps) Stephen Fisher
- Wednesday Evening 7:15pm Christy Geromboux
- Thursday Morning 10:15am (matchpoint) Jodi Tutty
Wednesday Morning on BBO
With player numbers in the Wednesday Novice Event on BBO declining, the Club has agreed to cease offering this event.
The Club offers face-to-face Bridge on a Wednesday morning in the Club rooms or a Wednesday evening session on BBO. Novice players would be very welcome to play in those sessions or in any other session offered by the Club either on BBO or in the Club that suits them.
Update your details and permission to list
As the club will not be producing a 2021 calendar/member list it is more important than ever that your personal details as recorded in Pianola are correct.
How to check and update your contact details
- Log in to Pianola (https://app.pianola.net/)
- Click on "My Account" in the drop down menu on the right and then the first Tab underneath is "Personal Details".
- Update the fields as necessary, and click "save".
- Then we suggest you check that your Communication Preferences are as you prefer (4th tab) - this includes reciving general emails and results from the Club.
- Lastly, then your contact permissions (5th tab). We strongly suggest that you allow other club members to have at least one channel for contacting you. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY CLUB MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THIS INFORMATION, AND ONLY IF YOU ALLOW IT.
- (Optional) While you are there you may also wish to upload a photo of yourself (3rd Tab). For an example please see Rick Nehmy’s member details.
The President of BFACT invites you to participate in its 2020 AGM on Monday 16 November.
The Meeting will be at CBC, 5-7 Duff Pl, Deakin at 5PM and attendance in person is available. Meeting will end in time for regular Monday night games to proceed.
If you are unable to attend you can participate by using the Zoom link below. Please do not activate before 4.55pm to allow us time to set up.
Agenda, minutes of 2019 AGM etc are available on the BFACT website.
President Bfact's Zoom Meeting
- 16 Nov 2020 at 5:00pm to 7:00pm
Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 856 9753 5355
Online Teams Event by the ABF
- Weekend of 28-29 November.
- Swiss of 8 x 12-board rounds,
- Finals (for the top eight Teams) held over the following weekend (December 5-6).
- An optional Swiss Pairs consolation for non-qualifiers will be held on Saturday 6 December.
- Entry fee: $220 per team.
For further information please see the ABF Online Teams flyer.
Ted Crichton Swiss Butler Pairs
- David Hoffman & David Wawn
- Ian Robinson & George Kozakos
- Julia Hoffman & Chris Quail
- Monday Morning: (not provided)
- Monday Night: Terri Henderson & Suzanne Samarcq
- Tuesday Afternoon: Richard Hills & George Riszko
- Wednesday Morning: N/A due to Olive Lott Pairs
- Thursday MP (Blue): Penny Wild & Andrea Twell
- Thursday Butler (Red): Peter Grant & Ross Crichton
- Friday Afternoon: Stephen Carter & Sunny Campbell
ABF NWP Online
6 Nov – Restricted Pairs
E/W 1st – Leonie Jones & Brenda Watts
“Would you care for a friendly game of cards?”
“No, let’s play bridge.”
Two new players sat down at smart Alec’s table,
“We’re novices”, said one.
“Really? Which Order?”