RealBridge - Online Bridge Sessions
** RealBridge at the Club will be available during the Club's COVID-19 Closure **
RealBridge improves the online Bridge experience by using your computer camera and microphone, allowing you to see and hear each other at a virtual bridge table. If you haven't already, we encourage you to join in one of our free Taster Sessions to familiarise yourself with the RealBridge Online Platform.
To start playing RealBridge you will need to:
- Confirm that your device will work with RealBridge (note: if using an iPad / iPad Mini, please use either Chrome or Firefox browsers. Older Safari browsers are not supported).
- Participate with your partner in a 30-minute taster and familiarisation session (recommended, not required)
- Click the link for the relevant session.
- Review the etiquette for playing on RealBridge
For urgent problems using RealBridge (e.g. signing in to a session), you may phone Bruce Crossman (phone number available in the Pianola member directory).
An excellent explanation of the RealBridge process is available on Realbridge Online website. Go "How To ..." which is the 6th heading on the top bar and look at the player guide in the drop down menu
Session Times & Links
Links will be opened about 2 hours before the session start time.
CBC Sessions will play 27 boards and last an estimated 3 hours and 5 minutes, except as marked.
- Week starting Monday 25 October - ($8 members/visitors, $7 concession members):
Week starting Monday 1 November - ($8 members/visitors, $7 concession members)
- Monday 10 am - join session here
- Monday 2 pm (24 boards 4.40pm finish) - join session here
- Monday 7 pm - join session here
- Monday 7.15 - EVENT - pre-entry only
- State Open Teams week 2- join session here
- Tuesday Afternoon 1:15pm - join session here
- Wednesday Morning 10am - join session here
- Wednesday Evening 7:15pm (24 boards) - join session here
- Thursday Morning 10am - Duplicate - join the session here
- Thursday Morning 10:10am - Butler - join the session here
- Thursday Afternoon 2:00pm (24 boards) - join session here
- Friday Morning 10:15am - Supervised Play only (zoom lesson at 9:30am) - join session here
- Friday Afternoon 1:15pm - join session here
- Saturday Afternoon 1:15pm - join session here
Trial of relaxed and social RealBridge Session on Monday afternoons -----
Since the switchover to RealBridge we have found that some of our members have felt slightly uncomfortable playing in an ‘all in’ unrestricted environment. We wish to offer an alternative for those who prefer a relaxed and relatively non-competitive game. This game would be suitable for some of our regular duplicate players and would also be suitable for those newer members presently playing in duplicates who would prefer a slightly easier competitive environment. We propose trialling a Monday afternoon session starting on 11 October.
The session will start at 2.00pm of Mondays and finish by 4.30pm and be conducted at a slightly slower pace. Best of all we have found the perfect Director in Sally Barber. More details to follow.
30 Minute "Taster" sessions
We are moving to an on demand system. Members wishing to experience RealBridge for the first time can email the club via manager@canberrabridge club.com.au stating a preference for a Monday afternoon or Wednesday afternoon taster.
Wednesday 27 October 2.30 for 3pm start- TASTER - Join session here
It is not a requirement to participate in a taster session before playing RealBridge. However, members and their guests wishing to try RealBridge can participate in a free 30 minute taster session. Simply email the managers including suitable times and we will arrange a taster session for you.
You do not need a partner for a Taster session BUT if you come to the session without a partner please let the Director know when you enter the lobby by typing a msg into the Chat area. The Director can then join you up with another player.
RealBridge uses your camera and microphone allowing you to see and hear each other.
- Taster Session Instructions (PDF)
- Taster sessions are free
- 30 minute session; 4 hands
In the meantime, check your Camera and Microphone, so your partner and opponents can "see and hear" each other.
Table Money on RealBridge
- The cost of playing a session of RealBridge is $8 per player with concessions ($7 / $4 students).
- All session fees are collected through CBCPay. Visitors are charged to their member-partner.
- Practice/taster sessions are free.
RealBridge etiquette – some pointers
Think about RealBridge as playing at the clubrooms... At the clubrooms you would not:
- Eat or drink in full view of the rest of the table (but you might discreetly eat a peanut or take a sip of wine)
- Conduct a conversation with a family member or conduct a telephone conversation
- Get up during the hand and make coffee unless you are Dummy and first excuse yourself from the table.
The microphone is the greatest feature of Realbridge – it allows for normalisation of the bridge environment. However, it can also cause problems with feedback. Some suggestions:
- Play in a quiet environment away from kids, televisions, street noise and noisy pets.
- Turn off the microphone when there is a distraction – my dogs bark as the possum leaves the possum box each night.
- Set the microphone on the lowest possible volume
- Regularly refresh the screen by clicking the wind symbol
- Be aware that the microphone may amplify noises, causing them to be louder than you realise for your partner and opponents.
New RealBridge Server in Australia
Recently RealBridge added a new server which is physically in Australia. This is to improve performance, and to make the RealBridge experience better for all of us.
The new server is called oceania.realbridge.online. In the links that we give you, you will see “oceania.realbridge.online” instead of “play.realbridge.online”.
The first time that you play in a session on the new server, you will have to do three things:
(1) When you first join a session on the new server, you may be prompted to authorise oceania.realbridge.online to use the camera and microphone, for example:
If you get this message, you should click “Allow”. You should only have to do this once – after you have done it, your web-browser will remember the setting.
(2) On the login screen your name [and id], will not be pre-populated. Enter your name [and id] in their correct form. After you have done this, it will be saved for future sessions.
(3) Your personal settings will have been set to the defaults. That is, things like single-click or two-click mode, types of cards, orientation of dummy, etc. To set these back to how you like them:
- Sit at a table
- Click the Settings icon (shaped like a gear wheel)
- Change the settings
- Click OK
Again, you will only have to do this once.
We suggest that for your next session you should allow a few minutes extra for doing these.
- All sessions on RealBridge will earn ABF MasterPoints.
- Partnership help: You can attend a session without a partner, and be matched to another player without a partner.
- Members are welcome to invite ABF registered visitors (and international visitors) to play with them on RealBridge.